We welcome CLP George Carruth today.
Reading by Archie McEvers
The story of Mary and Martha is a familiar one. Jesus has stopped at his friend Lazarus’ house for supper and the two sisters attend to him. One, Martha, busies herself preparing the meal while Mary plunks herself down at the feet of Jesus in rapt attention listening to His every word. Martha is upset with her sister for leaving her to do all the work, and voices her complaints to Jesus. On the surface, Jesus seems to rebuke Martha saying that she is worrying about the wrong things and that Mary “has chosen the better part”. But was Jesus really getting after Martha for slaving over a hot stove instead of spending time with him? It is hard to imagine that he is, especially when he has just told the inquisitive lawyer at the end of the parable of the Good Samaritan to go and do likewise!
So how do we serve Jesus? How do we balance good works with an attentive ear? How can we be both student, and servant at the same time?
Let’s explore this together.
Pastor Bob Langston
- Easter Service 2021 April 4, 2021
- Covenant: A Lenten Sermon Series Part4: Unbroken March 11, 2021
- Covenant: (A Lenten Sermon Series) Part 3: Covenants and Contracts March 7, 2021
- Covenant: (A Lenten Sermon Series) February 27, 2021
- Part 2: Drawn to Barrenness February 27, 2021
- Part 1: Flood Waters February 20, 2021
- Divine Distance February 14, 2021
- There Are Going to be Gaps February 12, 2021
- On Looking Out For Number 2 January 31, 2021
- A Voice in the Night January 18, 2021
- Covenant: (A Lenten Sermon Series)February 27, 2021
- Beatitudes A Summer SeriesJuly 14, 2020
- Lenten Take-Ons: The 10 CommandmentsMarch 28, 2020
- The Wonder of Christmas SeriesDecember 1, 2019
- A Stewardship SeriesOctober 28, 2019
- Enough: God’s Blessings of Abundance (A Stewardship Series):October 13, 2019
- Great Value SeriesNovember 27, 2016
- Advent SeriesNovember 29, 2015
- TreasureOctober 18, 2015
- The Gift of Christmas SeriesDecember 24, 2014
- Earth Wind Water and Fire SeriesNovember 9, 2014
- Sermon on the Mount SeriesMarch 30, 2014
- Christianity and Culture SeriesSeptember 22, 2013
- Covenant: (A Lenten Sermon Series)